***READ THIS BEFORE INSTALLING METROPOLITAN CONCRETE TILE AND BRICK VENEER***
IF PROPERLY INSTALLED, THIS PRODUCT WILL RESULT IN A BEAUTIFUL, DURABLE, EASY TO MAINTAIN SURFACE THAT CAN BE ENJOYED FOR MANY YEARS.
As with any handcrafted product, slight variations and imperfections will occur from tile to tile, such as in thickness, shading, irregular edges, and crazing. These variations are an inherent and desirable quality in our product that does not compromise the performance of the tile.
- DO NOT LET THE BOXES OF TILE GET WET, STORE THE BOXES OF TILE IN A DRY AREA!!! MOISTURE OR DAMPNESS CAN CAUSE STAINING, COLORS TO RUN, AND MAY DAMAGE THE SURFACE OF THE TILE!!!
- Inspect your order carefully. We will not be responsible for material that has been cut or installed.
- Concrete Tile, as a product of natural materials, is subject to color and tonal variations and may require blending of tiles.
- Metropolitan Concrete Products are a cement-based product and may have residue on the surface. This will be removed during the cleaning, before grouting and buffing process after installation and after implementation of an ongoing maintenance routine.
- Install over flat, level, and stable cured concrete.
- Use a high-quality medium bed thin-set adhesive, such as a Laticrete, Custom Building products, or Mapei product. Contact adhesive manufacturer to inspect site conditions and recommend appropriate adhesive. Follow adhesive manufacturers’ instructions. Metropolitan Concrete Products are not intended for installation methods employing large quantities of water. Do not install during excessive hot weather or full, direct sun.
- Make sure that adhesive is applied to the full back of each tile (100% coverage). Large tiles require back buttering. Do not beat with a mallet to set tiles. Remove excess adhesive from the surface with a damp, cloth when it is fresh. Tiles should be cut using a sharp diamond blade in conjunction with water to avoid chipping of edges.
- Metropolitan Concrete Products ARE NOT pre-sealed at the factory. Therefore, sealing with a penetrating sealer is necessary. MAKE SURE TO SEAL WITH AN IMPRERNATING OR PENETRATING SEALER. FOR OUTSIDE INSTALLATIONS, USE AN IMPREGNATING OR PENETRATING SEALER WITH UV PROTECTION. APPLY SEALER AFTER CLEANING AND BEFORE GROUTING. DO NOT USE ACIDS OR ALKALINES FOR CLEANING TILES or VENEERS. USE A PH NEUTRAL CLEANER.
- Allow two (2) to three (3) days after tiles are laid before grouting of joints.
- Use Laticrete, Custom, Mapei or equivalent grout, using manufacturers’ instructions. Joints should be full and free of all voids and pits. Once grout has been applied and starts to dry, remove excess grout immediately. DO NOT AFFIX DUCT TAPE, GAFFER TAPE OR ACIDIC TAPES DIRECTLY ONTO TILE SURFACE, TAPE CAN DISCOLOR/STAIN TILES.
- After installation, wash tile with a neutral detergent. Use a single disc floor machine with a white pad to remove any residue. Remove excess dirt and water with a shop vac. Do not allow water or other liquids to spot, pool or ring the surface of smooth tiles (i.e. Do not leave spillages, drips or wet buckets, cups, footmarks, etc. on the surface at any time).
- For ongoing maintenance, clean regularly with a neutral detergent and buff tiles with a white pad. Extremely heavy foot traffic may require additional maintenance. A natural patina will occur as the floor is maintained and wears. Water spotting will be eliminated through and ongoing maintenance routine.
- The use of properly sized walk-off mats at entrances and sweeping or dust mopping is most important to remove abrasive grit that may cause wear.
- If you have any questions, contact your distributor before cutting or installing tiles.